Identification and Division of Work
- The first step of organizing is the identification and division of work. At this step, the total work is divided into various activities.
- For example, the various activities of a mobile phone manufacturing company can like this
- purchase of raw material
- purchase of manufactured parts
- stocking of goods
- the financial arrangement
- maintenance of accounts
- the arrangement of employees, etc.
- The departmentalization of activities starts once the various activities have designed to achieve the objectives of the company. The activities of the same nature grouped together and assigned to a particular department (It known grouping.) e.g., purchase of raw material, purchase of manufactured parts, etc. given to the purchasing department.
- And productions, stocking the goods, research activities are given to the production department. Similarly, advertisement and sales can given to the marketing department and the financial arrangements, maintenance of accounts and correspondence can put in the charge of the finance department.
Assignment of Duties
- At this stage, the responsibility of each individual or post decided, e.g., the purchase manager will given the task of purchasing goods, the sales manager will given the work of sale of goods, the advertising manager will given the work of advertisement and in the same way the finance manager will given the responsibility of making financial arrangements.
- While assigning these duties, it is important to match the nature of the work and the capabilities of the person to whom the work given.
Establishing Reporting Relations
- When two or more than two persons work for the attainment of common goals their interrelationship must defined very clearly. Everybody should know as to who is his superior and subordinate?
- For example, the purchase manager will the superior for all the employees of the purchasing department; they will receive orders from him and will also responsible to him.