Comparison UNIX vs Windows
Comparison UNIX vs Windows is the important topic of the Operating System. Moreover, freestudy9 has all kind of important information and topic related to it.
- UNIX is an open source operating system (we can modify the code), easily available free of cost. Windows requires licensing and is a paid operating system.
- UNIX is a command based operating system while windows are menu based.
- In UNIX I/O components stored as file while windows do not support this functionality.
- Also, Windows must boot from a primary partition. UNIX can boot from either a primary partition or a logical partition inside an extended partition.
- Windows allows programs to store user information (files and settings) anywhere. This makes it impossibly hard to backup user data files and settings and to switch to a new computer.
- Similarly, UNIX is CLUI (Command Line User Interface) operating system while a window is GUI (Graphical User Interface) Operating System.
- Windows program event-driven i.e. main program waits for some events to happen and calls a procedure to handle it. In contrast, UNIX program consists of code that does something or makes system calls to get some services done.
- Moreover, In UNIX there one to one relation between system calls and library procedures, while in windows library calls and system call decoupled. Win 32 API(Application Program Interface) used to get operating system services.
- UNIX supports various functionality as linking files, mounting and unmounting of files, file permissions using chmod command, which is not present in windows.
- UNIX is less affected by viruses and malware and hence more secure compared to windows.
- Also, Examples of UNIX operating system are Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat, Debian, Archlinux, Androidetc while examples of windows operating system are Windows 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP.