Types Android Application
- Mobile apps are basically little, self-contained programs, used to enhance existing functionality, hopefully in a simple, more user-friendly way.
- They all come with powerful web browsers, meaning you can do pretty much anything you can do on a desktop computer in a phone’s browser. Normally, when people talk about apps they are almost always referring to programs that run on mobile devices, such as Smartphones or Tablet Computers.
- Each app provides limited and isolated functionality such as game, calculator or mobile web browsing. Although apps may have avoided multitasking because of the limited hardware resources of the early mobile devices, their specificity is now part of their desirability because they allow consumers to hand-pick what their device is able to do.
- Different types of Apps:
- Native App
- Web App
- Hybrid App
Native App Types Android Application
- Native App has been developed for use on a particular platform or device.
- A native mobile app is a Smartphone application that is coded in a specific programming language, Java for Android operating systems.
- Native mobile apps provide fast performance and a high degree of reliability.
- They also have access to a phone’s various devices, such as its camera and address book.
- In addition, users can use some apps without an Internet connection.
- However, this type of app is expensive to develop. Because it is tied to one type of operating system, forcing the company that creates the app to make duplicate versions that work on other platforms.
- A Native app can only be “Native” to one type of mobile operating system.
- Most video games are native mobile apps.
Web App Types Android Application
- Web App stored on a remote server and delivered over the internet through a browser.
- Moreover, Web apps are not real apps; they are really websites that, in many ways, look and feel like native applications.
- They run by a browser and typically written in HTML5.
- Users first access them as they would access any web page: they navigate to a special URL and then have the option of “installing” them on their home screen by creating a bookmark to that page.
- These programs run on a mobile device’s web browser.
- This means that they delivered wholly on the fly, as needed, via the internet; they are not separate programs that get stored on the user’s mobile device.
- Web apps became really popular when HTML5 came around and people realized. That they can obtain native-like– functionality in the browser.
Hybrid App Types Android Application
- This type of application has cross-platform compatibility but can still access a phone’s hardware.
- It developed using platforms such as Sencha, PhoneGap, and Mosync.
- A web-to-native abstraction layer enables access to the device capabilities that are not accessible in Mobile Web applications, such as the accelerometer, camera, and local storage.
- Hybrid apps also popular because they allow cross-platform development: that is, the same HTML code components can reuse on different mobile operating systems, reducing significantly the development costs.